LSR – Liquid Silicone Rubber
Liquid Silicone Rubber and High Consistency Silicone Rubber
Burnetts is known for its expert design, development and tooling of LSR and HCSR components. We have state-of-the-art technology and equipment, ensuring we are at the forefront of manufacturing in even the most demanding of applications.
Silicone rubber offers a multitude of advantages over other types of materials, primarily that it has a long service life in adverse environments and is virtually unaffected by rain, snow, humidity, ozone or ultraviolet rays.
It is typically used in products that demand high precision including seals, sealing membranes, electric connectors, high-voltage composite insulators, multi-pin connectors, baby products, medical applications, kitchen goods and sporting equipment. Silicone rubber can also be over-moulded onto rigid thermoplastics.
- Wider operating temperature range – from minus 100°C to 180°C
- Inherently good electrical insulating qualities
- Natural flexibility and resilience – it resists compression set
- Enhanced comfort and feel of consumer goods
- Excellent sealing performance with low compression set
- No taste or smell, providing many food contact options
- Wide hardness range from 10 to 80 Shore A
- Numerous colour choices, from transparent to bright
- The ability to be over-moulded onto plastics with a lower melting temperature
- Resistance to many solvents, temperatures and fuels
Liquid Silicone Rubbers (LSR)
These are two-part pumpable materials, mixed and rapidly heat-cured to form elastomeric components. Our injection moulding techniques are ideal for intricate designs and offer high levels of automation, excellent dimensional control, fast cycle times and round the clock production.
Our cooling processes for LSR allows the production of parts with nearly zero material waste – eliminating the need for trimming and offering significant savings in material cost.
This differs from solid silicone rubber materials, which are purchased pre-mixed and partially vulcanized. Hard rubbers are processed by transfer moulding and result in less material consistency and control, giving higher part variability.
Benefits of LSR:
- Safe for industrial and food contact
- Excellent processing performance
- Fast cure rate
- Reduced cycle times
- Lower production costs
- Processed by liquid injection moulding
High Consistency Silicone Rubber (HCR) Compounds
These are ready-to-use, customised blends of silicone rubber bases, fillers, modifiers, vulcanising agents, and pigments, heat-cured to form elastomeric components.
- High performance
- Outstanding mechanical, electrical insulating properties
- Shortened development time
- Optimised manufacturing capabilities
- The option to process by injection moulding, transfer moulding and compression moulding